Projects         
Shuttleworth Collection   
Shuttleworth Trust
Flying Day
Old Warden
April 19, 2013

Each year before the flying season gets underway Shuttleworth pilots spend the week familiarising themselves with the Trust's display aircraft.
Polikarpov Po2
Left to right: Polikarpov Po2 (white 28) from 1944.
Left to right: Polikarpov Po2 (white 28).
Avro 621 Tutor (K3215 registered G-AHSA painted as 'K3241')
Left to right: Avro 621 Tutor (K3215 registered G-AHSA painted as 'K3241') built in 1933 it is the solve survivor.
Hawker Hind (K5414 coded 'XV' registered G-AENP).
Left to right: Hawker Hind (K5414 coded 'XV' registered G-AENP).
Left to right: Hawker Hind (K5414 coded 'XV' registered G-AENP).
Left to right: DHC 1 Chipmunk (RCAF '671' registered G-BNZC) It was built in 1952.
Left to right: Westland Lysander IIIA (V9367 'MA-B' registered G-AZWT). The Lysander was designed to operate closely with the Army as a special transport and observation aircraft. It was a very rugged aircraft able to land on small and unprepared landing fields. Four squadrons with 170 Lysanders, were moved to France in 1939. At the end of their time in France only 50 aircraft returned. They were later used to patrol coastal areas for downed airmen and could deploy dinghies when necessary. The Lysander operated with the RAF from 1938 to 1946.
Left to right: Gloster Gladiator Mk.1 ('K7985' really L8032 / G-AMRK). The Gladiator was the last biplane fighter when it entered service with the RAF in 1937, unfortunately it was no match for the technologically more advanced German aircraft at the start for World War II.
Left to right: Percival Provost T1 (XF603) In 1953 the Provost T1 started to replace the Prentice in the RAF pilot training.
Left to right: Ryan PT22 Recruit (G-BTBH '001').
Left to right: de Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth (K2585) The crew comprised pilot Wing Commander Willy Hacket and passenger the notable artist Bob 'Biggles' Tomlin.
de Havilland DH.88 Comet Racer (G-ACSS). In 1934 Sir MacPherson Robertson offered a prize of 10,000 for the winner of an air race from England to Australia to mark the centenary of the foundation of the State of Victoria. de Havilland built three aircraft for the event and the Shuttleworth example won the race. It is preserved in taxiable condition.
Left to right: BAC 167 Strikemaster 80A (1133 RSAF)
Blackburn B2 (G-AEBJ) it is owned by BAE Systems and is the last airworthy example and dates back to 1932.
Avro Nineteen Anson (G-AHKX).Test flown in November 1946 it was then delivered to Smiths Instruments at Staverton.
Left to right: Miles M.65 Gemini 1A (G-AKKH).
De Havilland DH.60 Moth (G-EBLV).
De Havilland DH.89a Dragon Rapide (G-AEBJ) Built in 1945 as a Dominie by Brush Coachworks Ltd at Loughborough.
Left to right: Sopwith Pup (N9917 registered G-EBKY) The Pup followed the 1½ Strutter and preceded the Triplane in Sopwith history, entering service in 1916, first with the RNAS and later with the RFC. The example was ts acquired in 1936 by Richard Shuttleworth.
A.N.E.C. II (G-EBJO) designed in 1923 by W S Shackleton.
Piper PA-18-150 Super Cub (G-CUBJ c/n 18-2036 painted as French Army Aviation coded 'CDG').
Left to right: Bristol F.2B Fighter (D8096 registered G-AEPH) Built by the Bristol Aeroplane Company, the prototype F.2A made its first flight in September 1916. After some modifications the F.2B went into production. It carried a pilot and observer, both of which were armed with a machine gun. Its maximum speed was 113mph (182kmh). Eventually 5,329 examples were delivered till 1926, some serving until 1932.
Desoutter I (G-AAPZ) It was constructed by National Flying Services (NFS) at Hanworth in 1931 from components supplied by Desoutter Aircraft of Croydon. It made its first flight on August 18 1931.
Left to right: Southern Martlet (G-AAYX) It was designed by F.G. Miles, who had established Southern Aircraft at Shoreham in Sussex, this aircraft is one of six was built in 1930.
de Havilland DH.60X Hermes Moth (G-EBWD) It was built in 1928 and was used by the Brooklands School of Flying.
Hawker Sea Hurricane Ib (Z7015 '7-L' registered G-BKTH) It was built by Canadian Car & Foundry at its Fort William, Ontario, plant during 1940.
Left to right: Parnall Elf (G-AAIN).
Hawker Demon (K8283 registered as G-BTVE) It is one of a batch of 37 built by Boulton Paul Aircraft Ltd of Wolverhampton in 1937, it is the only surviving example in the world.
Avro 504K (H5199 registered G-ADEV painted as 'E3273') The prototype flew first in1913 by 1918 over 8,000 aircraft had been produced for operations with the Royal Flying Corps, the Admiralty and the RAE at Farnborough, the type was not withdrawn from serivce until 1934.