|Champaign Aviation Museum
Grimes Field, Urbana, Ohio
July 21, 2023
|The Champaign Aviation Museum has an ongoing restoration of a B-17 Flying Fortress to flying condition, now using a purpose built hangar which was built in 2010 and extended in 2019. The Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress (44-85813 previously registered N6694C but now registered N3154S) is now named 'Champaign Lady' arrived here in November 2005. It is to be built as a composite, using recovered parts from 44-83722 and 44-83316 (two outboard wing sections) and 44-85505 a B-17 that crashed at Talkeetna, Alaska, in 1951. The vertical stabiliser came from B-17G 44-83525. Much of the restored aircraft will be constructed with re-manufactured parts produced in their workshop, including the nose compartment and radio room compartment.
|Left to right: Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress (44-85813 registered N3154S) named 'Champaign Lady'.
|Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress (44-85813 registered N3154S) named 'Champaign Lady'.
|Left to right: Grumman C-1A Trader (136778 '16' registered N778SR).
Douglas C-47B Dakota (43-48459) registered N105CA).
Schweizer TG-3A (42-52948). This glider trained pilots for air assault missions in World War Two, it was donated by the Yankee Air Museum in 2021.
|Left to right: Stinson 10A (NC36794) from 1941.
Fairchild 24W-9 (N18695) from 1939.
|Left to right: Douglas A-26C Invader (44-35948 '32' registered C-GHLX, N381EC). From 1975 to 1987 it was used by Conair as a water bomber and then with Air Spray until it was retired in 2007. Acquired by Champaign Air Museum in 2009 as N381EC later cancelled in 2017.
Beech C-45H Expeditor (51-11719 registered N87689) ex USAF.